Date: Feb 12, 2018
JOB NUMBER: 20641
In this temporary position, reporting to the director, refining and marketing, chief sustainability office, you will support our Downstream business unit with professional communications services, provide knowledgeable strategic communications counsel and coordinate the community investment program. You will have a strong understanding of Suncor’s Downstream business, and work with our senior leadership team members on special projects and confidential initiatives, as well as liaises regularly with communications and stakeholder relations (C&SR) colleagues and supports corporate initiatives as required.
- Act as the lead for all Downstream internal communications, and develop and execute promotional communication plans
- Provide strategic counsel to the Downstream leadership team and senior leaders through special projects and development of communications materials
- Lead high visibility events involving executives
- Enhance Suncor’s corporate reputation through communication of strategic business priorities
- Train, coach and mentor employees in communications and community relations
- Maintain and introduce new media initiatives, serving as content owner and editor of internal intranet
- Provide leadership and strategic direction for community investment activities
- Develop and manage the budget for internal employee activities
- Provide continuous improvement related to C&SR services, tools and processes
Experience and Education:
- Four or more years of experience in communications, marketing or public relations
- Exposure to the oil and gas industry, including environmental, social or regulatory related issues is an asset
- Experience working within a dynamic and large matrix organization supporting multiple business areas or locations is strongly preferred
- University degree or related post-secondary diploma certificate in communications, public relations, business, journalism or associated field
- Member of the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) or Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) is preferred
Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of various communication channels including digital, with deep understanding of social media tools and their applications
- You have advanced knowledge of public relations promotions, strong event management and community partnership skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite with expert working knowledge of Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Advanced written and oral communication with strong inter-personal skills in one-on-one, group and public (community/stakeholder) scenarios
- You are able to consult with senior leaders and provide creative thinking skills to advance our reputation
- This is a temporary position for a period of 12 months
We want you to have a job you’re genuinely excited about – as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself. Suncor is a company where you can contribute in a meaningful way, grow your skills and career, and achieve success.
Our mission to create energy for a better world begins with caring about the communities we live and work in, while responding to your interests and concerns. Read our Suncor Connections newsletter to see how we're living up to our commitment to keeping you informed.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Suncor is committed to accessibility and accommodations will be provided to applicants upon request. At Suncor, we are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.